Are you on an outdated version of Dynamics NAV? Is your current Dynamics NAV system holding up progress? There’s been a lot of positive feedback in the Microsoft community about Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central. It’s the best option for Dynamics NAV customers who want a modern and affordable solution. You can install Dynamics 365 BC as a cloud or on-premise solution. So why should Dynamics NAV customers consider upgrading to Dynamics 365 Business Central? As Dynamics NAV and Dynamics 365 Business Central consultants, we’re available to help you weigh your options.
3 Considerations with Dynamics NAV Dynamics 365 Business Central Upgrade
1. On-premise perpetual: This scenario is based on upgrading the way you always do; you are on BREP (Business Ready Enhancement Plan – Annual Maintenance) and upgrade to your own server or hosting provider. You purchased your licenses and pay annual maintenance. If you are current on annual maintenance the following applies:
- 2 named Dynamics BC users for every 1 concurrent Dynamics NAV user
- Offer available for NAV users purchased before October 1, 2018
- Calculate your users in the Microsoft’s Upgrade Policy
- Typically, there is no additional charge for the software, and you stay on premise or with your own hosting provider.
This is a good solution if you prefer to host your own software and want to have a path to migrate to the cloud when they are ready. You can also renew BREP without migrating or upgrading: Customers can stay on their current system by renewing their BREP. Basically, this is doing nothing. Microsoft will continue to offer support for Dynamics NAV through January 2028, but will no longer release upgrades for Dynamics NAV 2018 and earlier NAV versions as of April 1, 2019.
If you have a lot of customizations, you can migrate your customizations and integrations by upgrading to Dynamics 365 Business Central on-premises and then converting their customizations to extensions. Step two would be to move to the SaaS option outlined in option Two below.
2. Migrate to Dynamics 365 Business Central cloud: By migrating to Dynamics 365 Business Central in the cloud, customers will get all the benefits of a true cloud solution, like easy 24/7 access anywhere from any device with Microsoft’s secure servers, seamless upgrades, easy integration building through web APIs, and reduced hardware costs.
- Purchase licenses on a per user/month basis
- Lower initial investment and add users as you grow
- Cost of hosting with Azure is typically less expensive than hosting on your own
- Save 40% on the list price if you upgrade/transition by June 30, 2021. This pricing is a fantastic value! If you are current on your NAV support plan, they you should qualify for these discounts.
- In fact, all these products can transition to Business Central:
- Dynamics GP
- Dynamics AX (many AX customers migrate to Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations - enterprise )
- Dynamics SL
As part of your transition, we suggest that you evaluate your customizations and integrations and determine which ones are still required or cost-effective to redevelop for Dynamics 365 Business Central. We find that many customer customizations are no longer needed or a supported App can replace the functionality.3. Additional considerations
- Microsoft invests more than $1B a year in Dynamics Azure to ensure unmatched security and governance. It also employs more than 3,500 security experts to protect your information. Microsoft collaborates with industry and regulators to build trust in the cloud ecosystem guided by the following principles:
- Security – Protect confidentiality, integrity, and availability of your data
- Privacy and control – Control access to and use of your data
- Compliance – Stored and managed with applicable laws, regulators, and standards
- Transparency – Visibility into how your data is handled and used
- Software as a Service (SaaS) solution with one monthly subscription - Dynamics BC SaaS is more limited with customization options
- Extensions 2.0is available to enhance your solution. The development tool is Visual Studio and C/AL.
- Discounts - Microsoft offers a 40% discount on Dynamics BC for existing Microsoft Dynamics customers on BREP (as of 1st April 2018), due to run until June 30th 2021
- Business Ready Enhancement Plan (BREP) - If you haven’t paid your BREP up to date, there is a simple calculation to work out how much you
- If you are not current you will need to pay (16% of your original license price per year, plus a 3% penalty)
- Does it make sense to back-pay your BREP or re-enroll as a new customer
- Microsoft’s policy on re-enrollment fees to do your own calculation if BREP repayment is something that affects you
- Productivity Enhancements is probably the biggest reason to upgrade – on premise or cloud. The new features and functionality along with the DEEP integration to Office 365 are worth checking out. Why stay on old technology another year?
Not a Dynamics Customer? What are you waiting for? Pricing for new customers is amazing tool! On premise or SaaS – strong functionality at a great price.
Clients First Dynamics 365 Business Central – What to Expect
Our programs will allow your staff to use the software to its full potential, while enabling your organization to compete effectively in today’s marketplace. For more information about our Dynamics 365 for Finance & Operations (formerly Dynamics AX), Business Central (formerly Dynamics NAV), or Acumatica Cloud ERP purchases, upgrades and implementations, contact us at 800-331-8382 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
<< Keep in mind that only CSP Partners like Clients First can sell Business Central. We are a Gold CSP or Cloud Solution Provider. >>